Sunday, March 4, 2012

Nesting?? Who's Nesting??

Pinterest is something that reminds you how unorganized your life is how many great ideas are out there!  Lately I've seen all of these organized closets in people's homes, and it made me want to tackle two of my nemeses here at our house-the pantry and the linen closet.  There are some Cool Labels  that you can print for FREE to help you get started.  I LOVE ALL OF THESE!!  The first closet I worked on is the linen closet.  Of course, I forgot to take the "before" picture.  But here's the after picture.
I had each of our things stored in separate baskets so I knew where to find stuff, which made it a lot easier.  But we had stuff that didn't fit, stuff that was in a "random" basket, and stuff that was just in the wrong place.  I used some baskets I had left from school and reorganized all of that stuff.  We had a Greg, Laurel, Emmett, first aid, hand soap, and wallflower basket.  
The stuff was in there neat, and then I had to scrounge looking for the rectal thermometer for Emmett, which happened to be in something downstairs and not in his designated basket.  See, still not a perfect system.  :)  I also made separate piles for the different size sheets and labeled all of those.  This is to help find the stuff, but also to help us remember where to put it back.  

We'll see if this system lasts.  :)  It has made me feel more organized for about a week, which is an improvement.  I did essentially the same thing with the pantry, but I'm not still not completely happy with it.  It is still very jumbled, but it's better than it was.



Has anyone has luck with plastic containers for flour, sugar, etc.?  I always worry about getting air or bugs into those containers.  I'd love to hear any suggestions for fixing this up!

3 comments:

  1. Yay nesting!! :)
    We use giant food-grade 5 gallon drums for flour and sugar and we kind of hate them because the lids are so hard to get off/on. Since Rob bakes so much, we have to have massive quantities of baking supplies. If you find a solution, let me know!!

    It was SO NICE to see you yesterday. I had a blast. Thank you so much! I feel so loved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ordered some of the flour and sugar stuff directly from tupperware and love them. They are really easy to use. Not that cheap but worth it.

    Everything looks wonderful! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We actually went today and bought some OXO canisters from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. They weren't cheap either, but they definitely seal and make things more organized. I need to get a bajillion more for everything else, but it's a start. I'll post an updated picture once I get more of straightened up. I forgot to mention that I made an alphabetized list of all of the spices that are on each shelf. :) Greg is super impressed.

    ReplyDelete